Welcome to Year 1
Here you will find resources and lessons, as well as some links to useful websites and virtual museums that you may wish to view at home with your children.
With children potentially working in a completely different environment at home, below are some resources for online safety that you and your child can view together.
Think U Know – Children are accessing technology and the internet at a younger age than ever before. It’s never too early to talk to your child about what they do online and who to tell if they come across anything online that makes them feel worried, scared or sad.
Think U Know – Jessie & Friends: online safety education for 4-7s
- 123 Home School 4 Me – If you need access to free worksheets and activities, here’s another good place to start. Our friends in the USA have made a really valuable platform here. You’ll need to convert the year groups though! As a rough guide: Reception = Pre-Kindergarten, Year 1 = Kindergarten, Year 2 = 1st Grade
- Alphablocks episodes – Play along with the fun and friendly letters of the alphabet as they work together to make words and tell stories using phonics.
- Active Learn Primary – Teachers are ensuring that children’s reading levels are up to date and this site has many great resources. Children can read a book to you or they can enjoy hearing a book read to them.
- Beanstalk – Lots of interactive materials for children aged 1 to 6. They are offering free full access with live classes and on demand classes – parents just need to sign up.
- Blockly – Educational games that teach programming
- Blue Peter Badge Challenges – Different challenges for children to work through. 8 badges in total to try to gain!
- CBeebies Games – Free online games
- Century – CENTURY is the tried and tested intelligent intervention tool that combines learning science, AI and neuroscience.
- Counting in 10s
- Counting in 2s
- Counting in 5s
- DK Find Out – Lots of games and quizzes.
- Education Quizzes – Select the KS1 option from the home page and there are lots of activities here which will help your child recall previous learning.
- Grow a plant – Learn about how plants grow by experimenting with this interactive science activity.
- Kids – Classroom Secrets – Classroom Secrets Kids is offering FREE access to everyone until the end of April 2020. The platform is aimed at primary aged children and covers subjects such as maths, reading, grammar and spelling. The platform is really child-friendly so that they’re able to access it on their own. There’s load of games and interactive activities from phonics to SATs
- Numberblocks episodes – Learn how much fun counting can be with the Numberblocks – a fun-loving group of numbers who work together to solve problems big and small.
- Off School Flyer – full of ideas for home learning and fun activities. Head to the Activity Zone for 100s of films, created by teachers, across loads of great topics and themes!
- NASA Kids – a place to play games and learn about NASA!
- National Geographic Kids – National Geographic is a great platform for learning and it’s totally free. There’s online games, resources and competitions too.
- Online quizzes for KS1 – Our quizzes are boredom busters. We bring education to life with the use of quiz questions, pictures and engaging feedback.
- Phonics Bloom – here
- Phonics Play – Free, unlimited access to selected games and teaching ideas across several phases – play these as many times as you like!
- Prodigy Maths Games – Free online maths
- Shaun’s Game Academy – Learn how to make online games here!
- Scratch – Computer programming
- Splat 100 square – A great resource to work with 100 number squares
- Storytelling with Leicester Libraries – 3 Billy Goats Gruff: A story for younger children told by Sandy Gibbons
- Storytelling with Leicester Libraries – King of the Cornflakes: a story for younger children told by Matthew Vaughan
- Storytelling with Leicester Libraries – The Little Ducks Younger Children Hema Acharya
- The kids should see this – Child friendly science videos that does not underestimate their ability
- The shapes song
- The shapes song 2
- TinkerCad – Free app for 3D Design, electronics coding
- Top marks maths games – Play these fun Maths Games for 5-7 year olds
- Tricky word song phase 3
- Tricky word song phase 4
- Twinkl – Instant access to inspirational lesson plans, schemes of work, assessment, interactive activities, resource packs, PowerPoints, teaching ideas at Twinkl!
- Access code: PARENTSTWINKLHELPS
- Science Museum – Explore our collection, complete brain-teasing puzzles or learn about science with our range of science games and apps
- London Zoo – here
- British Museum – Free tours and activities
- Google Art Project – Some wonderful pieces from multiple locations across the world
- Guggenheim – A chance to view some of the collection online
- Museum of London – Online games and some activities to do at home
- NASA Langley – Langley Research Center – Virtual Tour
- National Gallery of Art – A chance to view some of the collection online
- Natural History Museum – On this page you’ll find lesson plans and activities for classroom learning, as well as resources to support self-led trails around the Museum
- The Dali Museums – A chance to view some of the collection online
- The Vatican Museums – A chance to view some of the collection online